Friday, October 11, 2013

Well I Was Born in a Small Town

I am small town, period. Everything about me says it, shows it and proves it. Not even Price small town, this place seemed like the bright light city when I left good old EC to "venture out" and find my place in this world and for those of you that don't know, I "ventured"all of thirty miles.  But that was huge! My graduating class had somewhere around 18-30 kids in it, so to be fair that was far enough for me.  But I really do feel it in my soul that I need the dirt over pavement/Walmart is our mall type of lifestyle.
 I love it for the traffic or actually the lack there of. For the fact that I have been so used to not dealing with it my entire life that when I have to follow two cars to my house, I yell out "what the hell is this, a traffic jam"?! I can't handle crowds or people or traffic. I come out of that canyon going up North and I swear there is a vein my throat that senses the sudden flux in population and the tension hits. "Quick, find a beer...wait, dammit this is Provo!" That's exactly how it goes.
I love that I live where you can look out the window and see land for days,  the mountains, the desert (not dessert people, we're not talking about pie)and trails leading everywhere.   It's perfect for someone like me who needs to have that constant outing at hand! You want to run? Minus a mountain lion or the occasional "overly friendly" dog, there are no threats.  Hike? Take off then, what's stopping you? Snowmobile, mountain bike, ATV, dirt bike, hell even bird watch(I don't what you're into) whatever,  its here. No traveling required. You can literally pull your trailer, pack your tent, set up your cot or pass out under your truck(again, I don't know what you're into) five minutes from home with no worries about having enough ice or Cheetos.  It's perfect. 
Lastly, the most attractive part of small town life is special because it can also be the worst part. It's the people. Like the song says "everybody dies famous in a small town". You know almost everyone and they know you. It has its perks if you look at them the right way. I like that the bank knows my voice and I don't have to waste the 10 seconds giving my birthday or SS#(both questions always panic me and make me feel like I'm a criminal accessing my own account). Handy! Then there are the checkers at the grocery store that know your parents/in-laws and your plans for the weekend. They can tell you not to buy those hamburger buns because they already did. Considerate! Some people wish they wouldn't, but I like that the liquor store workers know what you like and can tell you when you walk in if they're out of it before you have to walk down the aisle youself. Helpful! Everyone(well almost everyone, nowhere's that perfect)waves, smiles, makes small talk, laughs at your jokes and tells you your kids are cute even when they're screaming. That's just thoughtful!  
I'm not saying its perfect (we have no Cafe Rio and thats a travesty by itself) and I know it's not for everyone. But if it wasn't for towns like this with people like these and hobbies like those, then what would the Country Music Industry have to sing about?

2 comments: