Friday, October 25, 2013

Are You Ready For Some Football?

Today is one of those days where I'm faced with a  list. Not just the "things that must be done every day to keep the ship afloat" kind of list, no it's the kind that has double the chores to check off and half time to complete them in.  It's a keep your eye on the prize if you want to claim it, revel in it and enjoy it kind of list and I do! I'm focused! At the end of this long and seemingly impossible mission is a glorious shining beacon known as a "weekend alone"! That's right people its a mini vacation list(by far the best and most motivating of all it's counterparts). Once I finish this race I'll be savoring a sweet weekend with my love that pinnacles with...wait for it...seats at Sundays Broncos/Redskins showdown(or beat down, could go either way)! That's right people, it's game time!
   Now I like to jump right in and start with the fun the second we pull out of Grammys driveway and wave good-bye. Maybe that sounds terrible to you, but let me assure you that I love my boys with a fire that burns deep and I also love spending almost every minute of every day (I do sleep, I'm not a machine) tending to their needs, wants, feelings, emotions, development, education, etc. It's my life's work.  But that's what makes these trips even sweeter. It's the fact that they are so few and far between that makes you appreciate it all the more(don't think for a second they're not ready for a break from us too, Grammys house if like Disneyland minus the rules). But, I feel that's true with anything in life, if you have to much of a good thing you get immune to its enjoyment and lack the appreciation that should be a given. Spoiled! Not this girl. I do appreciate it and I definitely plan to enjoy every glorious minute of it (maybe not as much as last year, lesson learned Coyote Ugly). 
So it's Kickoff time and that means the road trip over. You're making plans, making plans to kick some butt(censored), even making plans to kick some butt and take some names. Who knows?! The weekend is young, it could go anywhere(and by anywhere, I mean a sports bar for beer and wings, lets not get crazy here). But it's true. You see somewhere you want to stop, do it. Is there some backroad you want to detour on, take it(just be careful, we've all seen that horror movie).  Maybe you want to take a minute to check out what that guy on the off ramp is selling out of his van, why not? It's your destination, how you get there's half the fun. 
Second quarter has to be the first night there. It's when you pre-game for the actual game  itself. You can let your hair down and travel back in time to find that pre-kid version of yourself (also a time to be careful though, sometimes that version has been discontinued for a reason).  For my husband and I, it's like we get to know each other all over again during these trips."There you are, I forgot how much fun we can be!" Re-discovered! However, it is important to maintain myself during this time. I may feel like a kid again when released into the world sans my own kiddos, but the hard truth is I'm more than a few years past that era and recovery is not as quick as it used to be. No hangovers for halftime! 
Third Quarter=Tailgating. It's really almost as fun as the game itself! Almost. There's the food(as always, my personal favorite),  the drinks, the impromptu football games with total strangers and then there's the giveaways. Although for some it is, it isn't the sponsors first rodeo. They know how to prep and please the crowd so they start right off with the gifts. T-shirts, koozies and yes bottle openers, oh my! It's like Christmas for a sports fan and it all leading to the highlight of the trip.
Fourth Quarter, the game itself! It's the climax of the weekend and the whole reason you left your kids at home(who if you're like us, you've missed since the minute you left and have called thirty times to check on). For me, either team winning is a win for me taking away the pressure of being too passionate. Carefree. The plays, the scoring, the sounds, the sights, even the skydivers(yes there are skydivers, Denver doesn't disappoint), it's an experience like nothing else.  So with the two minute warning, I leave you with a song to sing, enjoy! And if on Monday no entry is to be found, well, wait another day. I'm on vacation!
Are you ready for some football? A Sunday night party! We've got the Broncos and Redskins ready to get this game started! Well it starts at two, no need for the lights. Stadium food and cold beer on ice. Yes all the rowdy fans are back for Sunday night! How's that rendition Hank? 

No comments:

Post a Comment