Thursday, October 10, 2013

One Mans Trash

I think it's time that I finally admit something publicly. Something I have been keeping to myself and my close family and friends for a long, long time. I have a serious addiction. I have tried to quit every way I that I know how to and nothing has worked. It's got me man. Hi, my name is Austin and I am addicted to reality television.  No, I'm not proud of it and yes, sometimes it's hard to look at myself after I just watched what I did.  But if I'm going to be honest, I mean brutally honest, I LOVE it! I watch it every chance I get and when it's over I can't wait to watch it again! I have even devoted long hours developing and perfecting a rating system for my favorite types of reality T.V.(who says I exaggerate to much). It all comes down to the likes, the like even mores and the LOVES.
I like challenge shows. I like how the contestants are literally willing to do anything for anything, however insignificant the prize. I've seen people eat rotten pigs feet to win a box of toilet paper then scream like they just won the lottery. Some do it for the 200+ lb. weight loss they can accomplish as long as they are willing to share their blood sweat and tears with millions of people. It's emotional! Others do it for the recognition. You want to be the next clothing designer, top chef, singer, dancer, tattoo artist or even the baddest of the bad girls? Here is you chance!  You win one of these, you will be remembered for years to come(or until the next contestants come on 6-9 months later). But most all of these people do it for what else? The money of course! We live in a world where you can become an instant millionaire (sometimes thousandaire...yes, not a real word I'm aware) if you're willing to eat more live cave spiders than the next person. Winner!
Even more than competition shows though, I like anything New Jersey related. Jersey Shore(and it's many entertaining spin offs),  Jerseylicious, Mob Wives and definitely The Real Housewives (actually any Real Housewives Series! Atlanta, OC, Miami...yes, all of them). I now feel like I could fit in New Jersey seamlessly. I've picked up the lingo(ex. grenades), I love the Gym(my basement), I'm already tan (no thanks to any known ancestry), and I do laundry for days(there are four people living here)! However, I do inevitably get the same question from Chris every time I watch a Jersey show. "Why do you watch this crap?" Easy! They make me feel classy. 
Last but not least and easily the least controversial or sleazy, I LOVE anything Alaska related. I hate that cold weather but love watching other people live in it. I want to watch them live their subsistence lifestyle (see that, educational).  I want to see them trap animals that I don't want to be within 30 feet of and I really want to watch them ride their "snow machines" in -20 degrees like it's summer to their cabin 500 miles from anyone! They're tough no doubt!  For one "Mountain Man" to survive the winter there he has to eat a minimum of 5,000 calories a day!(I may learn to love the cold yet)
Believe it or not, even I do have my limits though. I may watch my share of bad singers,  bad tattooers and bad girls in general, but I refuse to Keep up with any Kardashians....Maybe I don't have a problem after all. Never mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment