Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Evolution of Exercise

Evolution of Exercise

In College, the BDAC was like a second home for me(for you out-of-towners that is our local college Gym). Yes for the Basketball games, but mainly for its "expansive" work-out facilities. Anytime or every time I wanted to (before work/after work, before parties/never after parties), I could go there and I did. It was literally as easy as that. Completely up to my own will and my want. The older you get however, different predicaments come into to play. If you want it, you have to plan ahead and be ready to take that chance when it arises. Yes, nosy women at the check out line, that is why I shop in my running shoes and am usually dressed like a Hanes Athletic spokeswoman. Mind your business. There are obstacles, but nothing's impossible if you find a way to make it work for your lifestyle.
  In my case, it's all about the babies(not the Benjamin's, wrong blog). They rule this roost with an iron fist that they make look effortless. In terms of the toddler, everything depends on either a nap or the presence of another capable person to supervise for a minimum of 45 minutes (a rarity on a semi-daily basis). You would think a nap would be a given, but as I have described in length in other blogs, not so much. "You needs it? You wants it? To bad, you can't have it." For the seven year old, though, it is much easier to find the time now that I have figured out the foolproof plan of entertainment/distraction. It all comes down to the very basic needs(his basic needs) chocolate milk, cookies, cartoons. Line these pretty maids in a row and while they last, that kid couldn't care less if you were downstairs or down east. Simple right? 
   In the instance that the stars do align and that window of opportunity opens, now comes the other basic needs(mine). As I stated, a sitter is a scarcity around these parts, so the gym is out and classes are out(they say you can bring them, but I will not be the Mom with her son taking kicks to the face so I could feel the burn). But that doesn't mean that you can't get the same results at home.  Trust me, if you have the necessary tools, it's just as enjoyable and its free(minus the shoes, clothes, equipment, DVDs, etc.) If you're anything like me, you can't simply take off with your thoughts to roam the trails and listen to yourself breathing. No,  if I'm running outside, the mood must be right. That means music! Not just any music on the radio (there's nothing worse than getting in the groove and have to push through car insurance commercials or ads for "function" vitamins), no it has to be accompanying, it has to be lively and most of all it has to motivate! One of my husbands Merl songs has been slipped into my playlist somehow and while I do love the man, nobody(except him)wants to be in the height of your pace and hear Okie From  Muskogee come over the headphones. If your running at home, it's all about the movies you pick for the occasion. I've found action movies work best for me. But be careful, Braveheart once pushed me to push myself so hard my legs hated me for days. Lesson learned William Wallace! Then you have the exercise DVDs. Which ones work the best, which one goes by the quickest or which one have you seen so many times that you recite the entire script while doing your squat sequence(even though that's annoying, if it works, still better than buying a new one to me). Informed!
    It's true that it does take an inconceivable amount or work these days verses ten years ago to accomplish what once came easy, but its worth it!  Even with the fact that now my post workout body feels like a train ran over me, then backed up and did it again for good measure. It takes work to work out, but I'll take these aches and suffer through the soreness with a sense of achievement! Because when I'm done, I really feel just like John McClane, Yippee ki yay all you Mothers!


4 comments:

  1. This makes me laugh cause I am always in my workout clothes! Yes I have earlier sweat in them and still don't feel the need to change after because well, Laundry sucks enough as it is! I just wished I had the motivation to workout at home! I admire runners for this simple reason.... It takes patience and focus to run step after step after step.....and after step. I don't have very good focus. Does anyone know what time the Cowboys play the Lions Sunday?
    Jamill Tapia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamill, you crack me up! I don't know what time the Cowboys play, but I'll be at the Broncos vs Redskins game! Yaya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In other cases...you can just wear workout clothes all the time because they are more comfortable and "fit better"...and maybe it will morivate you NOT to eat those cookies

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point Chantelle! See, the reasons just keep adding up!

    ReplyDelete