Monday, November 11, 2013

Willingness To "Wiggle"

     Believe it or not, I can be extremely shy. It's true! It's also, no mystery (to those poor souls that know me best) that I am almost always awkward to talk to. There are uncomfortable pauses, I laugh way to much(and loud, yes I'm aware)and when I have nothing to say, whatever comment pops into my head is what comes out like a bullet. Then I get to spend the next three days reliving the conversation over and over again kicking myself for being such a dumbass. "Did I really just say that? I can't believe I said that! Why didn't I say this instead? What's wrong with you?" Imagine how much better conversations would go if you could pause time and think of your response before you give it? The time I would save stuttering out "um, um,um" alone would be incredible. But as nerve wracking as it can be, I don't let my own weirdness stop me from meeting new people or trying new things. I want to live!
      Take this weekend for instance. Thanks to my Dad finding this incredible place in Green River not only to live during the week, but also to play most weekends now(sorry people, we're here to stay on a semi-regular basis), I have had the chance on nearly every trip to enjoy the best of what the country lifestyle has to offer. So, once he told me that Saturday was another day plum full of possibilities to live it up Green River style, I signed up with black ink(which we all know is permanent, you can't erase that shit). An afternoon trap shoot with a long line of pickup trucks with their tailgates down and beds full of strangers is enough to bring out the meek side of this Momma and send me into my sleek "fade into the background" maneuver. But it also carries with it a chance to step up and display my mad clay pigeon marksmanship(and by mad I mean a whopping 6/50 kill ratio, impressive I know) and that's just a chance I will take every time it arises (bashful or not). However, these people aren't the kind you're shy, quiet or nervous around. No, they truly are the most comfort inducing, welcome smile giving group of "make you feel like you've known them forever and belong there" people I've ever met. True words! Five minutes in their presence and I had all but forgotten my lack of social skills and my trap shooting troubles(even the fact that my gun literally came apart in my hands). My only focus was all the fun being had effortlessly and that it was all just beginning.
     Luckily, we hadn't worn out our welcome yet(we had just met these people, give them a minute to realize the mistake they've made and how hard we're going to be to get rid of) and the invite was given out to a garage party/lamb roast. Well, far be it from me to forego any feast, whether the main course will be a first time food or not, I step up to any plate(pun intended). To say that I was delightfully surprised at how much I liked the lamb and how great of a job they did cooking it would not only not be under statements, they would also imply that I in no way made a fool out myself by eating a metric ton of mutton in one sitting...I did. Add another point for you, list of reasons to try new things. Touché.
    I don't need to you preach the power of trying new pursuits, it's a first person lesson to be learned. All I can do is suggest you stretch your own limits. We all know you have to stretch to stay loose and the same goes for your comfort zone. I for one don't want to get stiff, I don't want to crack and I damn sure don't want to spend any time on the injured list. So I will take my fears for a walk to keep my life limber. If for no other reason than to keep things interesting its worth it. If not for chances like this to take, how else would I have met such magnificent people or discover my new found love for the luscious taste of lamb? Live it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment