Wednesday, September 25, 2013

We're Having a Heat Wave.

Today is the day that I both dread and look forward to every year. It's inevitable. It's unavoidable (and other words that mean that it's just happening folks). I wake up to make the coffee and pack Chris lunch like I have every work day for nine years. I walk down the stairs onto the wood floor and into what feels like a walk in cooler at a gas station(when you're used to 80 degrees the day before). I think "How the hell does this happen every year?" There's no warning. No slow cool down to give your body time to acclimate. It's just BAM sucker, Falls here! Now to get you to understand, I hate cold(and by cold I mean anything under 70 degrees). There's not much I do hate actually, LOTS of dislikes, but only cold brings out the dark side in me. 
So now I have the dilemma. I want the heat. I want to hear the furnace kick on and feel that life saving musty air pouring out of the vent like my life depends on it.  So I start thinking, how do I do this? The timing has to be right. From when the pilot roars to when the air comes out is a 1 minute 43 second window that has to run seamlessly together with the time it takes Chris to get out the door or I'll get the talk. The "it's only 66 degrees in here, put on a jacket talk". Its terrible. So I listen carefully for my window and I make my move. I push that button and it feels like power personified! Now to sit and drink my coffee like its nobodies business (ACT NORMAL)!  Did I do it? How's my timing? I can here him coming down the stairs but I can't look because my face gives away lies like a 5 year old. Then I hear it....the air...it's faster than I remember it was. Chris:"Dammit, already? It's only 66 degrees in here!" .......so close. Better luck next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment