Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Smells Like Success

     During the holiday season, it's sensory overload.  Between the blitz of bright lights adorning every abode to the constant stream of Christmas music coming from every speaker you pass by, it's the most festive time of year. However, out of all the sense stimulators, the smells of the season stand out above the rest. There's the baking of cookies, the fresh pine scent coming from an actual tree(not the kind hanging from your rear view mirror) and candles that smell so much like actual sugar cookies that nobody's wise to the fact you haven't rolled out any real ones in years! Beautiful! I truly feel though, that the candle industry has neglected to address a few major smells that I for one (being of redneck affiliation) would burn down year round, 24/7 style.
      Where is my "Eu de toilette: Auto Parts store"candle? I don't know what it is about the aroma of tire cleaner mixed with Armor All that makes me smile, but there is no other scent that comes to mind quicker when I think of my favorites. It makes me want to throw on some coveralls and spend my afternoon changing my oil like the good old(pre-honda engine that looks like the result of a trash-compactor) days.  Where's that little tree air freshener?
      I would buy a "scent-o-campfire smoke on your clothes" candle in a hot minute. What other smell could bring the essence of the summer season to your living room when it's -45 degrees outside for five months? Thoughts of all the trips taken to the desert down low or mountains up high come to mind and practically demand that an adult beverage be enjoyed! I would breathe in that sweet smell with a beer in hand and reminisce.
    A "bouquet of a burger joint: Rays Tavern"style burner would be worth top dollar in the Utah circuit. I've yet to meet anyone(because I choose not to interact with that type of person) who doesn't just hear the word "Rays" and start salivating like they're lost in the desert and staring at an oasis.  Just thinking about it now makes me want to drive the 60 miles to heaven and satisfy this craving before it turns into an all out grilled beef patty obsession. If you could just light a wick in your kitchen and insight that type of reflexive response, what's not to love? Instant road trip inspiration!
     If it was possible, the biggest purchase of perfumed wick burners for women like me would be the "whiff of a working man". The scent of a man devoid of any axe type body sprays or overpowering colognes is a pheromone the market has yet to monopolize on. Not all females like their significant others to smell as if they are attending their first high school dance and have to cover the stench of their nervous sweat with a gallon of knockout gas. The just finished a shift working hard to support a family coupled with the bold aroma of confidence and a hint of Old Spice deodorant is the sexiest smell ever to emanate from anything, ever.  Put that on a shelf and I dare say we could watch it sell out faster than any of its Pumpkin spice scented competitors. Get on it Glade!
    There's is no doubt that if I was in a position of influence to the scented candled industry, the line-up would house aromas never before considered by some scientist in a lab coat. Gone would be the island breeze or banana cream and in would come the Corona with Lime and ATV ride through the Cedar trees. Don't mind me, I'm just over here making the world a better place one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment