Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Ant vs. Grasshopper

     While I sit here drinking my coffee and watching the snow bury the leaves blanketing my entire yard, I'm cursing myself for once again waiting to long to use the damn leaf blower for 15 minutes and save that weekend in the Spring I will now spend digging that soggy mess out of the gravel.  This is nothing new, I am the queen of procrastinating. Wait to buy the new gallon of milk until I have talked my son into eating a bowl of dry Captain Crunch like it's popcorn, putting off filling up my gas tank until the drive to the station may easily end with my having to push the truck the final 40 feet(yes I know it's just as easy to keep the top half full as it is the bottom, but where is the adventure in that) and I'm always the crazy lady buying/wrapping Christmas presents on the eve of the holiday itself. But I'm not without ambition to better myself and turn around my lazy ways. I have big plans!
      If it were completely up to me, I would have a food storage that would rival a store house with its masses. Yes there's a chance I'll never need it, but what if I do? Government collapse(a real one), outbreak of some deadly disease spread by consuming massive amounts of fast food or a Zombie Apocalypse that forces us to hole up in the garage and live it out hermit style. Nothing's impossible right? If nothing else, I could take the place of the local grocer and people would come for miles to trade or barter for a bag of beans. Show me the goods!
      Along with the cache of canned goods, I would have a medicine cabinet that could double as a pharmacy. From heartburn to heart breaks, stuffy nose to "stuffed to full of frankfurters", I'll have the prevention, the treatment and the cure. Just call me Dr. Mom.  Then on mornings like this one, when I wake up expecting a normal Tuesday only to discover some mystery rash has taken over my seven year olds skin, I would have every form of Benadryl to have ever sat on a store shelf and wouldn't have to convince him to swallow the boring adult medicine in pill form. "It doesn't even taste like grape!" Where were you with your spoon full of sugar on that one Poppins? Unprepared!
      Yes, if I was a wiser woman(or at least one with a higher inclination for preparation), I would do the work now to save twice as much later. I would write a list of things I'm out of for when they're needed again and I would have that Christmas tree with presents to shake and sniff for weeks before the big day instead of minutes. I would be more like the ant and less like grasshopper. Then again, that grasshopper does have way more fun during the summer season....good thing the super store is open 24 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment