Thursday, December 12, 2013

Just Another Day In Paradise

     Have you ever heard the saying, "I asked for patience and was given more chances to be patient"? Well, yesterday was a day full to the brim of just those chances. Not only that, but chances to choose what chances to be patient take priority over the next ones! Mom skills a plenty all working together in one big cluster of nutty fudge!
     Standing out above the rest though, is when I put my coffee in the microwave hoping to reheat the French vanilla flavored beverage, only to hear a panicked "MOMMA" coming from the room of my "ever so helpful" toddler. Before I could even push start on the warmer too, which would turn out to be for the best as I would soon find out. No quicker did I reach said bedroom to discover that not only did he figure out how to get his diaper off all by himself, he chose to do so after the result of way too much apple juice had commenced testing the maximum capacity limits of the "seven layers" of dryness Luvs had advertised(they lie by the way), then do I hear an equally urgent "MOM" coming from the room I just left un-scathed. Afraid to take my eyes off of the imminent "contain and clean-up" Hazmat grade disaster laid out in front of me, I yell in my most shocked and frustrated voice, "whaaaat now?"
"I was just trying to help..." I hear in a guilty whisper. Well, it's never good to get that response from a seven year old(bless his heart) bull in a china closet.
"What does that mean? I'm kind of busy up here!"
"I thought you could use some coffee(poor kid could see his Mommas call for patience from a mile away) and I tried to get it out of the microwave for you." (See why it was a good thing I didn't start it yet?)
   For those of you who haven't been to my house, my microwave is eye level for me and I'm 5'10". So this sweet little boy was about as able to reach this full and lidless cup of joe, as I was able to predict my other son was going to treat his carpet, pants and shoes to a bath of poop soup. Equally impossible. But he did try, and in doing so covered himself, the entire counter, my phone and IPad (pretty impressive really) in a creamed coffee coating! Perfect timing!
    So now, I'm faced with one of those decisions that literally make you feel like peoples lives depend on the choice you make, when the worst case scenario is really just some carpet cleaner, a change of clothes and a revised Christmas list. The call was made(by myself, since these events always seem to coincide with my husbands work trips) to shed the soiled clothes of both and wipe up the "waste". He can run around naked while I assess the damage downstairs, we're all family here. I then closed off one crime scene to attend to the other. No rest for the wicked, they say.
    A few soiled towels, a couple baths and a couple hours later, all was back to "normal" in the Cowan house. Even the electronics seemed to come out of the catastrophe no worse for the wear, surprisingly. Chock it up as another chance taken to prove my patience(or lack of) and a lesson learned to never ask for more again!

No comments:

Post a Comment